C. Anna Spurlock
C. Anna Spurlock
Energy/Environmental Policy Research Scientist/Engineer
Dr. C. Anna Spurlock is an environmental and behavioral economist conducting research at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL).
- Anna is currently a Justice40 Fellow on Detail half time to the Office of Economic Impact and Diversity under Shalanda Baker, the Secretarial Advisor on Equity and Deputy Director for Energy Justice at the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). In addition to working on the U.S. Department of Energy Justice40 implementation plan, as part of this role she is also serving as the representative for the DOE on:
- the Technical Working Group for Discounting, Equity and Risk Aversion in support of the Interagency Working Group on Social Cost of Greenhouse Gases, and
- the Distributional Analysis Subgroup in the Office of Management and Budget process for Modernizing Regulatory Review.
- Anna has a leadership role in the LBNL Sustainable Transportation Initiative, is PI for the SMART Mobility Consortium work being conducted at LBNL for the Department of Energy Vehicle Technologies Office Energy Efficient Mobility Systems (EEMS) program, and is PI of the Geo-Economic Multi-Modal Systems (GEMS) Model being developed for the Federal Highway Administration Office of Transportation Policy Studies.
- Anna co-founded the Behavior Analytics research initiative at LBNL, in which advanced data science and machine learning are coupled with rigorous statistical and econometric techniques to generate insights from high resolution smart meters data regarding consumer behavior and decision-making.
- Anna leads the Economics Research sub-team within the Energy Efficiency Standards Group. This team advises and supports the minimum efficiency standards program, and conducts primary research on the market impacts of minimum efficiency standards policy.
Agricultural and Resource Economics, PhD, University of California at Berkeley, 2013
Agricultural and Resource Economics, MS, University of California at Berkeley, 2009
Anthropology, BA, University of California at Santa Cruz, 2002
Spot: Team Workforce Development
August 18th 2021
2018 Director’s Awards for Exceptional Achievement: Diversity
August 08th 2018
Early Career Development LDRD Awards
November 30th 2017
2017 CUCSA Kevin McCauley Memorial Outstanding Staff Award
September 01st 2017
Spot: Leticia Ericson, Corinne Scown and Anna Spurlock
July 28th 2017
Spot: Anna Spurlock
December 01st 2016
Winners are not keepers: Characterizing household engagement, gains, and energy patterns in demand response using machine learning in the United States
Clustering Life Course to Understand the Heterogeneous Effects of Life Events, Gender, and Generation on Habitual Travel Modes
Evaluating the Effects of Missing Values and Mixed Data Types on Social Sequence Clustering Using t-SNE Visualization
Describing the users: Understanding adoption of and interest in shared, electrified, and automated transportation in the San Francisco Bay Area
Confronting Regulatory Cost and Quality Expectations: An Exploration of Technical Change in Minimum Efficiency Performance Standards
Energy Efficiency and Minimum Standards: a Market Analysis of Recent Changes in Appliance Energy Efficiency Standards in the United States